A direct connection with Denver City Government is here at their website: DenverGov.org. Additionally, we recommend downloading PocketGov.com for direct connection to city services, including street sweeping schedules, DMV renewals, accessing the 311 system to report neighborhood concerns, and Denver Police Dept’s Virtual Neighborhood.

Street Light Outage or Repair

If you’ve noticed an outdoor light within the Xcel Energy service area that’s in need of maintenance, REPORT THE PROBLEM HERE.

Biking Resources

2019 Denver Bike Map

The Bike Streets Project is an all volunteer advocacy organization for bicycle riders in Denver.  They’ve created a map of more than 400 miles of low-street routes.  And an app is in development. And a series of 8 group rides are scheduled for 2020.

Potholes – What you Need to Know

Potholes are created by repeated freeze-thaw cycles and are most likely to be found on heavily used roads (duh!) and near the edges of the road because that is where the water collects.  Weather permitting, the city has as many as eight crews filling potholes each day during the week. These are street-maintenance employees, the same people who plow snow and do other things on Denver streets.  On snowy days or rainy days, there is less pothole filling because it’s not effective to be out patching in a rainstorm or a snowstorm.

Denver fills between 60,000 and 100,000 potholes and spends approximately $2 million annually on pothole repair.  Public Works relies on citizens calling 311 or using Pocketgov to report potholes and they also assess the needs by proactive patrols. Typically reported potholes are filled within three business days.

The city uses asphalt year round to fill potholes. In warm weather, they use a hot mix, and in the winter months, a cold mix but this is not their preferred patch. The best patch is hot mix because it gives the best bond.

If a pothole has damaged your vehicle, you may file a claim with the city attorney’s office on their file-a-claim page. (Instructions on how to file the claim are found on the page.)

Animal Nuisance and Urban Wildlife Issues/Questions

Find answers to common neighborhood animal issues including barking dogs,  finding lost pets, keeping chickens, and living with the wildlife in our urban neighborhood. 

Dig Safely – Call 811:

Be sure to call 811 before starting an outdoor digging project, large or small. Failure to check before you dig can result in injuries, disruption of services to entire neighborhoods, and potential fines and repair costs.

Social Networks for Neighborhood

Nextdoor Hilltop is a private social network for the neighborhood. It’s an easy way for you and your neighbors to talk online and build community. And it’s free. Nextdoor’s mission is to provide a trusted platform where neighbors work together to build stronger, safer, happier communities.  You must be a resident in order to join the network. People use Nextdoor to:

  • Quickly get the word out about a break-in
  • Track down a trustworthy babysitter
  • Find out who does the best paint job in town
  • Ask for help keeping an eye out for a lost dog
  • Find a new home for an outgrown bike

Denver EveryBlock – Their goal is to help you be a better neighbor by giving you frequently updated neighborhood information, plus tools to have meaningful conversations with neighbors.  EveryBlock is a combination of many different types of local information — from public records like crime reports, to neighbor discussions, to photos people have taken in your neighborhood.

Denver INC – Inter Neighborhood Cooperation

Inter-Neighborhood Cooperation’s mission is to advocate for Denver citizens by bringing together, informing and empowering Denver neighborhood organizations to actively engage in addressing city issues.Denver INC (Inter Neighborhood Cooperation) is a voluntary, non-profit coalition of representatives from Denver’s registered neighborhood organizations (RNO’s), city agencies and others that gather to promote responsible city change and growth.

Solid Waste Information

(including Trash, Recycling & Composting Service) and information about the city’s Leaf Drop Program.

Waste Website

Gas & Electricity

To report a power outage call Xcel Energy at (800) 895-1999 and to report gas leak, call Xcel Energy at (800) 895-2999. If you think you have a gas leak, leave your home immediately and call from a neighbors home or cell.

Short Term Rentals (STRs)

How to report a Short-Term Rental violation

If you suspect a short-term rental host in your neighborhood is unlicensed or is in violation of the “primary residence” rule you may submit an online complaint at www.denvergov.org/str and click on the “Complaints and Mediation” button on the right hand side. Denver Short-Term Rentals are required to be the primary residence of the host. Primary residence means a residence which is the usual place of return for housing as documented by at least two of the following: motor vehicle registration, driver’s license, Colorado state identification card, voter registration, tax documents, or a utility bill. A person can only have one primary residence. 

There is no requirement of the host to maintain a certain number of days at the property or to be present when there are renters. For example, a host who is a retiree may spend half their time in another state, a host may travel for work, or a host could rent their property while away on vacation and these examples would not violate the primary residence rule. However, a host may not live two blocks away and still consider their secondary property a short-term rental. Rentals 30 days or more are considered long-term and do not require a license.

If you are having trouble with parking, trash, or other quality of life issues it is best to submit a complaint through 311, pocketgov.org, or through DPD’s non-emergency line at 720-913-2000. DPD responds to parties, loud noise, and disturbing the peace calls. 311 and pocketgov.org are for trash, parking, and other common neighborhood complaints. The city’s Excise and Licenses department utilizes this data when weighing whether to issue a notice of violation against a short-term rental host. 

Additional information about Denver’s short-term rental license can be found at www.denvergov.org/str. 

High Winds and Downed Branches or Debris

  • Property owners are responsible for pruning and cleaning up debris from trees located on private property and within the public right of way adjacent to their property.
  • Residents can visit www.denvergov.org/forestry for a list of licensed and insured tree care contractors.
  • If emergency removal of a fallen tree or tree branch is needed immediately to clear a street, the city will remove the encumbrance and the cost of the work will be billed to the responsible property owner.
  • Solid Waste Management collects a limited amount of branches as part of its regular trash collection service. Branches must be no larger than 4 inches in diameter, and they must be cut into lengths of 4 feet or less, bundled and tied, and weigh no more than 50 pounds. Broken branches can also be collected during Extra Trash service (every 4 weeks); no more than 10 branch bundles per household.
  • Denver residents can also drop off branches at the Cherry Creek Recycling Drop-off center located near East Cherry Creek Drive South and South Quebec Street. Hours of operation can be found on the city’s website at www.denvergov.org/recycling.