The holidays bring an added impact of waste along with the joy – Christmas trees, packaging and shipping materials and now even holiday lights can be recycled or diverted from the waste stream.
Here are some do’s and don’ts: DO RECYCLE: Rigid plastic bottles, jugs, jars, tubs, cups and containers marked with the #1 through #7 in the recycling symbols. DON’T RECYCLE: Plastic bags, Plastic lids and caps (from your coffee or water bottles). No K-cups or individual coffee creamers. No compostable containers! No foil yogurt lids!
PLEASE DO RECYCLE THESE HOLIDAY ITEMS, TOO!
TREECYCLE – Denver Recycles offers this seasonal program that turns discarded holiday trees into mulch and made available FREE to Denver residents at the Mulch Giveaway and Compost Sale in May.
Last year, the city of Denver collected over 21,500 trees for recycling. Let’s do it again! Set out your Christmas trees on one of your regular scheduled trash collection days between January 6 – 17.
- Only natural, real trees are collected by Treecycle crews.
- Set trees out by 7 a.m. on your scheduled trash collection day.
- Curb customers: Place your tree in the same location as your trash cart. Alley customers: place your tree behind your property.
- Trees must be placed at least two feet away from collection carts, structures, and other obstacles. Do not place trees inside bags or collection carts.
- Trees may also be dropped off at one of two Treecycle drop-off sites, open through January 31.
RECYCLE YOUR LIGHTS! – Old, broken or burned-out holiday lights are collected for recycling at a drop-off location from mid-November to mid-January.
CARDBOARD PACKAGING – On-line shoppers remember shipping boxes can be recycled but do need to be broken down so they are flattened and take up less space in the pick up stage.
STYROFOAM – Take your styrofoam at the Cherry Creek Recycling Drop Off. Another option is ACH Foam Technologies – they accept clean (with all labels removed) molded #6 ETS Styrofoam® pieces most commonly used to ship electronics. No food-related packaging is accepted. Material is recycled into pellets for bean bag chairs and other items. They are open Mon – Thurs from 7AM to 2PM and located at 5250 Sherman St in Denver. Call 303-297-3844 for directions and hours.
For more information contact Denver Recycles at 311 (720-913-1311) or visit DenverGov.org/DenverRecycles