Denverites invited to plant green trees to help battle the pandemic blues — hundreds of free and low-cost trees available through
Denver Digs Trees
DENVER, CO, February 2, 2021 – Denver nonprofit organization, The Park People, is making hundreds of low-cost and free trees available to Denver residents as part of its annual Denver Digs Trees program. Residents interested in planting a tree in their yard are invited to submit an application by March 1. For COVID-19 safety, approved applicants will receive their trees via contactless delivery.
“The pandemic has highlighted the importance of our outdoor spaces. As we seek ways to overcome virus fatigue and isolation blues, many of us continue to turn to the outdoors as a welcome respite, whether in our own yards or our city’s many parks and open spaces,” says Kim Yuan-Farrell, The Park People Executive Director. “Planting a tree in your yard is a great way to cultivate nature at home and become a part of Denver’s thriving urban forest.”
How to Apply for a Low-Cost or Free Tree
- Between February 1 and March 1, Denver residents can apply online for a tree at theparkpeople.org/What-We-Do/Denver-Digs-Trees/Apply-for-Treesor call 303-722-6262 to request a paper application.
- Tree applications are first-come, first-served, so residents are encouraged to apply early.
- Trees are $10 for addresses in targeted, lower tree-canopy neighborhoods, and $35 in the rest of the city. Applicants facing financial hardship may request a ‘Treeship’ to receive free trees.
About the Trees and Planting Information
- Applicants can choose from 7 different varieties that will grow to different sizes. All choices are hardy, urban-tolerant, deciduous (leaf-dropping) trees that do well in Denver.
- Applicants awarded trees receive and get to plant their trees in April.
- Trees are a manageable size, and planting and care instructions as well as training are provided.
- Planting assistance is available to residents with physical limitations.
- All Denver residents, businesses, nonprofits, and schools are eligible to apply.
About The Park People
The Park People is a 52-year-old nonprofit organization that works with Denver communities to plant trees and improve parks for a healthy, resilient future. More than 60,000 trees have been planted in Denver through The Park People’s work. The 2021 Denver Digs Trees program is sponsored by The VF Foundation, Xcel Energy Foundation, Denver Parks and Recreation, Living Room Real Estate, AT&T, Arbor Day Foundation, and OZ Architecture. Learn more about The Park People’s programs as well as funding and partnership opportunities at TheParkPeople.org.