The Long and the Short of STRs in the ‘hood

June 5, 2018 / Comments (0)

General News

Short-term rentals (STR) are residential properties available for rent for a period ranging from 1-29 days.  The City and County of Denver requires hosts to obtain a license in order to offer a short-term rental (STR).  To qualify a host must meet the following:

  • Must be a legal resident of the United States.
  • The property must be the host’s Primary Residence.
  • If the host is a tenant that wishes to rent out their apartment, house, etc. written permission must be obtained from Landlords or Owners.
  • Verify that the rental is insured. Many platforms offer insurance that fulfills this requirement.
  • The STR must have an operable smoke detector, carbon monoxide detector and fire extinguisher.
  • Obtain a Lodger’s Tax ID; Hosts are responsible for collecting the 10.75% Lodger’s Tax.
  • Obtain a Business License and post the Business File Number (BFN) in all online listings.
  • Adhere to Zoning Code Requirements.

If you are looking to rent a 2nd property or commercial-zoned unit you must apply for a  Lodging Facility License.

If you are going to rent a place for 30 days or more, it is not considered a “Short Term Rental” so you do not need an STR license.

There is more information, step-by-step processes and forms located here:

If you have concerns about a STR near you, illegal or otherwise, see our Resources page for info on how to report a concern/complaint about an STR.

Leave a Reply