Got a green thumb? On Saturday, May 5, Denver residents can take advantage of one day to get two great products for their gardens! Denver Public Works will hold its annual Mulch Giveaway and Compost Sale from 8:00am to 2:00pm. Denver residents can load up on free mulch and buy compost at a significantly discounted price, while supplies last at Havana Nursery (10450 Smith Road).
Pre-bagged compost will be sold at a reduced price of $3.75 per 1.25 cubic foot bag (9 gallon), or in bulk, at $35 per cubic yard at the Havana Nursery location only. Limit 20 bags or three cubic yards of compost per vehicle.
Dig-your-own free mulch will be available at the following locations:
- Havana Nursery (10450 Smith Rd., just south of I-70 on Havana St.), free loader service into trucks and trailers available at this site only
- Veterans Park (Iowa Ave. & Vine St.)
- Bear Creek Park (South of Dartmouth Ave. on Raleigh St.)
- Sloan’s Lake Park (Sheridan Blvd. & 17th Ave.)
- Fred Thomas Park (Syracuse St. & 23rd Ave.)
- Denver residents must bring their own pitchforks or shovels, as well as bags or containers for loading mulch and a tarp to cover trucks or trailers.
- Commercial vehicles are prohibited from taking or selling mulch or compost from this event.
- Event is open to Denver residents only.
Compost is a nutrient-rich soil made from decomposed organic material. When added to soil, it helps plants thrive while reducing water and fertilizer needs! Mulch can be used to control weeds, retain soil moisture and protect shallow-rooted plants. The free mulch offered at this event was made from ground-up trees collected through Denver’s Treecycle program earlier this year.
For more information on the annual Mulch Giveaway & Compost Sale, please visit denvergov.org/mulch.